Friday, February 16, 2007

The Ring of Fire


The beginnings of this post started about a month ago when Moira asked where she could take her boyfriend when he visits the country this February. Moira's here on a short hiatus from work in China. There she met her boyfriend Chris where they're both teachers.

The suggestions ranged from the different tourist attractions the country has to offer, to dinner, to a round of paintball. Paintball was out of the question since Mommy Rhea is infanticipating. Jeez, who'd want someone 7-months on the family way being hit by a multitude of paintballs? O_o;; Moira decided on an eat-all-you-can dinner of different pinoy dishes to introduce Chris to us and the country's culinary experience.

IMG0075A
Me, Carina, Jolly, Ron, Heidi (at back)
and Moira at Kamay Kainan

So yesterday we found our way to Kamay Kainan in West Ave. I actually got lost. Jeez, West Ave near SM City was closed to traffic because of repairs so I had to go around via Delta to reach Kamay Kainan. I parked but couldn't find the guys. I even called Carina to confirm the place.

Twilight Zone time. I was looking straight into the restaurant window and Carina said they were right in front of the window. I couldn't see them. Carina was getting frustrated. I was confused. Then I looked up at the sign. I was at Kamayan, the wrong restaurant.

IMG0073A
Eimee, Chris and Nats

Finding my way to the right spot was easy, it was just 35 feet away. So it was once again a meeting of librarians, computer guys and teachers. I saw Chris right away with Eimee, Carina, Ron and Jolly (the others were getting food or in the little girl's room at that time). I actually thought Chris was Eimee's Spanish boyfriend (sorry, Moi, hindi kasi kayo magkatabi nun, e). O_o;;

IMG0074A
Engaged: Jolly and Ron.

It's so nice to meet with people you know twice, thrice or even four times over. Chris, I think, was puzzled when Moira was explaining to him how I am their friend and their yoyoing-fire-breathing-ufo-catching-anime-watching former college professor (and Leira's ex). O_o;; It's like six degrees of separation only with shorter branches. Cases in point, Nats became my co-teacher and I actually know Ron's father. I worked with Ron's dad in some theater productions. Hehehe. And now daddy's little Ronara is getting married to a helluva nice guy named Jolly (name is a dead giveaway of his demeanor). :D Hehehe. Like most times, Jolly and I were laughing because of guy jokes during the night. Hey, it's a guy thing peeps. We actually missed Daddy Nap and his quips. A night out with these guys is usually a riot. Too bad Nap, Rhea and little-baby-girl-to-be couldn't make it.

Haven't been to the arcade for UFO catching in a while, I think Heidi does this too, but am not sure. Jolly asked me if I watched Bleach, the anime, nope, haven't watched anime for some time now. I get to catch that swashbuckling / historic (early french Colonial?) period anime and Tokyo Tribe 2 on Wowow, though.

IMG0072A
Ron, Moira, curvaceous Heidi (kasi tumataba na, hindi na puro buto)
and the curvaceous Carina (kasi nag-gy-gym)

After Kamay Kainan we walked to Starbucks. Nothing like unwinding to cups of coffee and tea. And then the interrogation began.

IMG0077A
At Starbucks West Ave.

Everyone quizzes the new couple as well as the engaged couple... Actually missed Mommy Rhea, she's the one who asks the toughest questions. Missed Abbie too, she's the most blunt. Good thing Harriet was there.

It's called the hot seat, the ring of fire, the gauntlet. It's a round table discussion, an initiation, a baptism of fire, if you will. It's designed to strip you of your inhibitions, make you think things through and clear the cloudiest of minds. It ranges from gentle ribbing, to presenting perspectives from both sides, to harsh dressing downs. Mind you, this group can see through even the most opaque of veils. People with the unholiest of intents are usually caught off guard, surgically dissected and masterfully taken down to size. I know, I've been through it (and it ain't a pretty sight, from either side).

IMG0079A
Nats, Ron, Heidi, Harriet and Carina

I actually got to chit-chat with Emang (Eimee) during a cigarette break. Actually may kasalanan ako kay Emang. She emailed me a sponsorship package document for the UPLSAA Homecoming to be held this coming April. Being so scatter-brained at that point in time, I edited, re-worded and formatted the whole document then emailed it back to her on auto-pilot! Stupid me, working hours really cloud email reading. O_o;; Kelan ba deadline nun, Emang? Am thinking of 1/4th page na may drawing. Wala lang, trip lang.

IMG0076A
Carina, Moira, Chris and the stunning Nats
(with new stunning Sto Niño hairdo, hehehe)

Other than her new hairdo, Nats also had this uber-cool brass bracelet. it was wide with etched patterns through and through. Brass tarnishes and stains the skin, though, according to Nats. Looked ancient Egyptian (I think O_o;;). I just had to take a pic of it.

IMG0078A
The beauteous Nats, her bracelet, Korean peace sign
(I think that's more Japanese than Korean) and Sto. Niño locks.

What was so weird for that day was how uncharacteristically silent Moira was. Hehehe. So very unlike her. She's usually very vocal when others are in the hot seat. Probably because the shoe is now on the other foot. Chris was cool, he chatted away with Moira by his side. Moira was sweating bullets, and on the edge of her seat. Hehehehehehe!

IMG0080A
Nats, Ron, Heidi, Harriet, Carina and Moira

Till the next ring of fire, guys and girls. See you then. :D



crossposted: gokitomo.com, gorilla.multiply.com, gorilla.vox.com.








2 comments:

  1. Na-karma si Moira...hehehe Cute couple, especially with Moira being as relaxed as "a hooker in church"

    So sorry I had to leave early, but i'm actually looking forward to the next interrogation-- er, sit down dinner (ano ito, mafia?:D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaya nga ng sabi ko... Part-introduction, part-interogation and part-intervention parati nangyayari. Mwehehehe!

    "Have you heard Moira snore?"

    O_o;;

    ReplyDelete