Friday, April 6, 2007

John 18-19

I was chatting with Clair the other night, and we talked about our blog problems and a little bit of fire poi (which we both dream of doing). Then our conversation drifted to where we were going or what we were going to do this Holy Week. I told her I'd be staying at home to perform in Teatro San Jose's annual dramatization of the Good Friday gospel. We both found it weird that I perform for a Catholic theater group despite my beliefs regarding organized religion. Live and let live, I always say. Much like Juned, I take long walks when I disagree with the ramblings of the officiating priest. Anyway, I've been a part of Teatro San Jose (TSJ ) for 7 years already and we've done this gospel dramatization many times. The most common interpretation we have is the straightforward re-enactment of the events up front near the altar. Last year we deviated from this by staging a "radio play" at the side of the church where we were hidden from the view of churchgoers by black curtains. This year we went visual, but hidden from view this time by white curtains. We did a "shadow play" and all they could see were silhouettes. I'm particularly proud of John19:32-34 when the soldier pierced the Christ Jesus' side with a spear, though some people said we could have elevated the crucified Christ a bit more so that he wasn't on the same height as the other actors. Oh well, there's always next year.


Flickr photo links below:
1. gospel07, 2. gospel04, 3. gospel05, 4. gospel02,
5. gospel11, 6. gospel08, 7. practice05, 8. gospel14,
9. gospel13, 10. practice06, 11. gospel15, 12. gospel17,
13. gospel01, 14. practice08, 15. gospel03, 16. practice04,
17. practice01, 18. practice07, 19. gospel10, 20. gospel09,
21. gospel12, 22. gospel06, 23. gospel16, 24. practice02


No comments:

Post a Comment