Sunday, October 7, 2007

New Computer and redecorating for breathing space

I recently bought a new computer.
 
The old PC was too slow for me, especially for graphics work at the home office (which doubles as my room, or is it the other way around, O_o;;).
 
So I bought some parts and put together this: Core2duo PC (Intel Core2 CPU, 4400 @2.00Ghz, 2Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS, 512Mb, LG 18x DVD-RW). I also bought a KVM switch, 160GB hard disk, CD / DVD spindles, blank CDRs and DVDs, and cpu side fan for the new casing.
 
 
unboxing


Here is my old PC (Celeron, 2.13Ghz, 512Mb RAM, VIA S3G Unichrome IGP 32 Mb onboard, HP 12x CDRW, Samsung DVD-combo, Wacom Graphire 4 graphics tablet) at the old home office where I usually do graphics stuff. Disorganized, huh? Reminds me of bullpens I used to inhabit.
 
 
before

 
Here's my room / home office while I was redecorating and setting up the new pc and home network. I decided to take out the bed for more breathing and walking space. The computer table had to go too since it eats up a lot of space, I used a good ole trusty wooden bench instead.
 
 
during

 
After transferring my old external 40Gb and 80Gb hard disks and new 160Gb hard disk to the old pc, I installed the old dual monitors, a 80Gb hard disk and the graphic tablet on the new pc. The Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS, 512Mb has support for dual / multiple monitors so I made use of it (others use it for gaming, but I use it for work).
 
I set up an Aten KVM switch so I could use 1 set of keyboard-mouse-speakers for the two pcs (no need for individual keyboard-mouse-speakers). I set it up so the primary monitor is the one that can switch between the old and new pc. I knew about KVM switches but never did try nor had any use for them before. The only time I saw one up close was Qiqo's setup for Ate Shelly's 2 PCs at the UPSLIS. It's cool, I can now surf on the old pc, tap scroll lock twice to switch, and be transported to my work on the new PC. I also set up a home network to so I could transfer files between hard disks on different PCs. The old PC now serves as a file dump.
 
Core2duo 4400  @2.00Ghz on 2Gb RAM very fast... Me like... Here's the new cozy home office. Gorilla too tired? I just lie down and snooze.
 
 
after

6 comments:

  1. puede na sa extreme makeover: home edition. eat your heart out ty bennington!

    ReplyDelete
  2. puede na sa extreme makeover: home edition. eat your heart out ty bennington!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehehe. Akala ko Queer Eye sasabihin mo, e. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. waw! ang sosy! panu nagawa yung 2 monitor na parang magkadugtong? haha/
    nakakalito naman pag ganyan eh parang may hati sa gitna. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hati talaga, main content / work ko sa primary monitor, supporting data sa secondary monitor. Example, lettering script sa right, comics to be lettered sa left. Html sa right, web preview sa left. Excel ng grades sa left, submitted projects sa right. :D Yung mga video cards ngayon built in na sya na function. dati kasi kailangan 2 pa bilhin mo na cards, 1 per monitor. :D Poor pa me, ala pa pangbili ng lcd monitors. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete