Saturday, September 16, 2006

Beda and Ballet

I got to watch "The Best of PBT", a celebration of 20 years of the Philippine Ballet Theater, the resident balllet company of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. Jojo Renta is a heaven-sent. He teaches arts and humanities subjects at the San Beda College of Arts and Sciences. Whenever he has tickets to arts and culture events at the CCP he brings along the faculty members, so I tag along with my mom who teaches in San Beda. We had lower box seats so we had a great view of the program, same seats we had when we watched Miss Saigon.

I never was into ballet, but whenever the opportunity came for me to watch a show at the CCP, I jump on it. The Best of PBT was a tribute to the artistry that is the Philippine Ballet Theater. I wasn't able to see a copy of the programme but it was a showcase of the different talents who made PBT one of the best ballet companies of the Philippines. Am not much of a ballet critic but I'll try.

Act One was classical. I think it was a group of the new ballerinas. Some balance and synchronization problems can be seen. The lead female ballerina on the other hand gravitates from the group, you can actually see how more graceful she was compared to the others. It was great, but it gets better as the night wore on.

Act Two was a number to welcome back the stars of the Philippine Ballet Theater, the female leads through the years. God they were great. Every move they made, with their gowns a-flowing, were so graceful. You can actually see the dedication they had to be able to perfect each and every move.

Act Three was a Filipiniana piece. I found it long but if was fine by me. What drew my attention was the great use of color. Flowing malongs and sablays, long furling cloths, all drawing inspoiration from tribal Philippine colors (Maranao, Badjao, I really don't know, but it was so beautiful).

Act Four after the intermission was the rendition of Carmina Burana. This was the piece de resistance. The purple and orange, masks and cloaks, all in a medieval gothic setting was so engaging. It reels you in, sends shivers up your spine but you can't look away from the visual spectacle right before your very eyes.

I'd like to watch their next productions after this one.

Speaking of San Beda College...



San Beda College is off to the NCAA Men's Basketball finals!!!

Good Luck guys! Here are some Youtube vids someone forwarded via our alumni mailing list.




GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!
For San Beda, our country and God!
U.I.O.G.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment