Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bye Mimi...

This is Mimi. She died last Tuesday. She was 7 years old at the time of her death. Mimi is a lhasa apso, they're of the working dog class. Actually they look similar to shih tzus with a slight difference in the snout length and degree of overbite, and they have paws nearly the size of those of german shepherds. Comes with the breed, they're originally Tibetan mountain dogs.
    Mimi had this weird attachment to me. Seems I'm the one designated to always bring her to the vet. When she was a puppy, she sat on her doo-doo which dried and matted with her hair. So poo-poo won't pass through... She was in pain and her knees were shaking. My mom and sister were out of town (or out of the country) so I was the one who took her to the vet and held her chin as the vet did his thing. Seems that also wrecked havoc on her insides too later in life.
    I was there when she had to be brought to the vet when she was giving birth, my sister shared that duty too. I think she has had two caesarian births before being spayed. Blindness also haunted Mimi later in her life. Lhasa Apso eyes are bulgy, so eye disease comes easy for them.
    So as it turns out I would also be the one to take her to the vet one last time. I woke up Monday morning and was about to get ready to leave for work earlier than usual. I discovered that the garage had a lot of blood streaks. Then I saw Mimi, lying down in her own blood and feces in one corner of the garage. She could still raise her head but was shaking from weakness. Mom and I took her to the vet. Initially her white blood cell count was high, which gave her a 50-50 chance of survival. Then some good news, she stabilized, we thought she'd pull through. But the bad news came that Tuesday.
    Dogs to us are part of the family, so my sister asked that Mimi be buried by the vet. Now she has been peacefully laid to rest beside a banana tree in a parking lot in BF.
    We'll miss her. Seems the other dogs miss her too, Mokey her brother and Quasi her son. Now we only have two dogs at home.

(The pic is from my sister's blog, by the way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment