Thursday, November 16, 2006

Darn! Inconsiderate Drivers and HDDs

Okay, so I'm a bit pissed. We live beside the village gate which closes to traffic at 10pm and reopens at 5am. In emergency situations like fire or ambulance access, the gate is opened by the village guards from the opposite gate. That has been the security procedure for the past 20 years. Some inconsiderate drivers who miss the 10pm closing just park their car in front of our driveway and leave their vehicles there and retrieve them the next morning. This night, a Daihatsu minivan (with plate number UFV322), similar make and model to our Daihatsu minivan, parked in front of our house and practically blocked access to the driveway. My brother-in-law arrived and couldn't park. We had no choice but to push together (we tried separately but it just won't budge because of the handbrake).

We were able to move the minivan about 8 feet, enough space to maneuver the wide Chevrolet Optra (GM) through into the driveway. We were so poofed we couldn't push it back so we just left it there. There's enough space for our cars from the driveway and cars from the gate to pass through in case of emergency. People should learn to be more considerate. Parking in front of driveways is a no-no, you're blocking access to both the road and the driveway. How'd you feel if I parked in front of your driveway and you suddenly had an emergency! This isn't the first time this happened, I've pushed tricycles, owner jeeps, Mitsubishi L300s and Space Gears when I arrive from work in the wee hours of the morning just so I could park in our driveway. ASSHOLES! One guy, in broad daylight, blocked our driveway once. When I called his attention he said "Konsehal ako!" To which I replied, "Hindi ko tinatanong kung konsehal ka. Alisin mo dyan ang kotse mo, hindi kami makakaalis kung may emergency!" He realized his mistake and moved the car. If you just say, "Hindi kami makakalabas," there's a chance that they'll ignore you. That's why we hit them with the reality of possible emergency situations to knock them to their senses.

  

Just bought a generic APEC USB 2.0 2.5-inch hard disk drive enclosure (PhP500 from Asianic computer store) for my salvaged Toshiba 1Gb laptop HDD (model MK1002 MAV). I knew the bulky HDD won't fit into the slim aluminum casing, but I bought it just the same because I needed the connector to test / use the hard disk. I was prepared for the possibility that the hard disk won't work and I'll be stuck with a brick. But I thought I could use the enclosure in the future and all I have to do is buy a laptop hard disk. The connector fits snuggly to the  hard disk and I was able to connect it via USB 2.0 to the PC. Time for some testing. Hehehe.

  

When I connect it, the indicator lights up and the PC detects it. But it can't be recognized / identified. "Unknown Device" is what the error messages say. I even tried this hardware hack by Douglas Henke but to no avail. Sigh. I'll keep trying, and if nothing comes of it I'll go for the new hard disk option.




No comments:

Post a Comment