Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Y4iT’08 - Day 2




Philippine Youth Congress in Information Technology (Y4iT’08)
03 September 2008 (Day 2)
University Theater, UP Film Institute, and UP Ang Bahay ng Alumni

website: http://y4it.up.edu.ph

Photos by Igor Cabbab (Canon EOS 400D).

Day 1 was tiring. But I wouldn't miss Days 2, 3 and 4 for the world. Day two was an eyeopener for me. A couple of events are stuck in my head.

There was a schedule change that escaped me. Senator Edgardo J. Angara was the keynote speaker at the UP Film Institute (FI) and not the UP Theater. I was so surprised when I entered the side entrance of the FI with Jen Agustin in tow. There was Senator Angara just ending his keynote address. From the corner of my eye I saw that we weren't the only ones taking pictures. There were about three to four other DSLRs in the wild, one was from UP-ITTC, the rest were probably from newspapers. The old me kicked in. I dragged Jen into the fray, into my old world.

See, photo-ops like these, as Dan already knows with his stint as part of the Press, can get a bit dirty. Think of taking photos as boxing out in basketball without the elbows (well, sometimes there are, but thank God I only experienced that once). Jen and I got in some good shots, though I think I reaaaaally am out of practice. I miss it. :( Plus, I think the ole Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 really does perform better in some situations than my Canon EOS 400D. I still want a 450D or 1000D. Waah! :D

Speaking of cameras, my old UP SLIS schoolmate Juned Sonido (of A Feed Is Born , baratillo@cubao, pinoy snapshots, dalanghita.com, 1read2.org and radiocubao) was the speaker on the topic of Photoblogging at the Theater. And the Lumix / 400D thingie reminds me of the phrase (used by most photogs) he relayed to the audience regarding photography gear, "Wala sa pana yan, nasa indyan." I'll hang on to the Lumix for a while. Probably till it breaks or till the battery conks out (Jen, what did you do to my battery?). And of Juned, I really drool whenever he brings out all the cameras in that magic photography bag of his. Love that tri-lens!

I wasn't really planning on watching Regnard Raquedan's "The Internet's Next Big Superstar: You", but circumstances had my feet trodding the muddy path to the FI. In a few minutes I realized the mud on my shoes was worth it. I caught the tail end of Mr. Raquedan's talk, and his presentations on Pinoys who have translated their net stardom into things more substantial, complete with videos, knocked my socks off. The ambiance was a bit different: a lot of laughter was a staple and the energy was more human. Freebies time with him throwing T-shirts into the audience sealed the deal.

I'll be back for Day 3.

8 comments: