Thursday, July 16, 2009

Driving Without Wipers


Friday. Color-coding (UVVRP) day for me. This means I have to reach UP at 7am and can only leave at 7pm.

5:30am. Rain. Storm. Was on our way to Mendiola when San Beda, the school where mom teaches, called off their classes. Turned back. Mom had to walk a couple of blocks so I would save some time and do a 7am photo-finish at Diliman.

6:35am. Took Bicutan-SLEX-C5 en route to UP DIliman. Was already in the Pasig area when Dean Vy texted "No Clases". Yipee! Turned back and headed for home. Then... Disaster!

The minute I reached Makati-area / Fort C5, my wipers conked out! DAMMIT!

With limited visibility I pulled into the nearest (and last) South-bound gas station. I had to make a choice:

  1. Wait for the rains to stop (UVRRP window or not) before driving off, or
  2. Look for a repair shop and have the wipers repaired, or
  3. Wait until 7pm and head home, or
  4. Grit my teeth and bear it.

Painful decision. No. 2 seemed the most logical, but I doubted if I could find a repair shop. All I see are vulcanizing and radiator shops along C5. No. 1 was also safe, but then I could end up waiting for days, or, god forbid, option No. 3 which was the most dangerous. No wipers + Rain + Night-time = DANGER x2! I opted for No. 4. for my sanity. I'll just have the wipers repaired by our mechanic neighbor when I reach home.

I pulled out every trick in the book I knew.

  1. First, I "sacrificed" one of my cigarettes. I mashed it up and wiped it on the windshield. Tobacco absorbs moisture. Hehehe, they don't teach that in driver's ed, learned that from a jeepney driver who lost his wipers on a stormy night way back in college.
  2. Then, I drove off, sloooooowly. Rain smears on the windshield the faster you go. So driving slow made for higher visibility.  
  3. I positioned myself higher on the driver's seat and occasionally looked through windshield areas not normally touched by the wipers. These areas smear less, the rain just beads on and trickles down from them making it easier to look through.
  4. I utilized the CMT / CAT / ROTC "faraway look". Yeah, you guys without military training SUCK! (lmao) (joke) The voice of our commanding officer in my face shouting "FARAWAY LOOK! Look beyond me! GADDEMIT CADET!" echoed in my brain.
    Gee, those things actually have uses, hehehe. I fought the urge to look AT the windshield and looked THROUGH it (cue Yoda / Miyagi-san Karate Kid dialogue phrasing, "Look THROUGH, not AT!")
  5. Geometry. Damn. This hurts the eyes. I just assumed the vehicle before me was the lead vehicle and aligned the car with it. DAMN, that's hard with low visibility.Road paint is a life-saver. Whew!
  6. Muscle memory and road familiarity. I just tried to remember which pothole was where... How long and high were the gutters... Arrrrgh!
  7. One factor in my decision was the fact that once I got off C5 I'd be driving UNDER the Skyway on my way to Bicutan. Built-in umbrella / canopy. No rain under that small world. Hehehe. 
  8. I chose to exit at Bicutan since the roads were narrower, less chance of bumping into anything. Plus that's the road I usually take.
  9. Cobra Energy Drink is my best friend. Heightened senses, enuf' said. :D
  10. I was thinking, and actually tried, driving with my phone on camera mode held against the windshield. It actually works, things are smaller yet a whole lot clearer compared to looking through the whole windshield. It does get annoying and confusing seeing a small and a big version of things in front of you while driving. (This was my last resort, I only tried this when I was inside BF Homes already...)
Sample view, approx size as well.


Stopping and having the wipers repaired is still the safest choice, but I'm stubborn. (I wouldn't recommend doing any of the above thing I did under normal circumstances, it's here just in case you have to...) Just all in the wish that I could just reach home.

And here I am. Home... Disadvantages? My eyes hurt from the strain and I have a giganormous headache. But I'm home. :D

"Walang sinasantong bagyo sa gustong makauwi ng bahay." :D

18 comments:

  1. Well just be glad you are home safe. At least you wouldnt have to worry about fogging inside the windshield. This happens when your aircon conks out as well. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, that I hate.
    Punas ng punas ng inside ng windshield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. naks 1337 driving skillz
    dapat merong makaimbento ng driving-eye dog...

    nung nasa C5 kayo, dapat pumunta kayo sa amin. Sira pa rin wiper nyo pero malilibre nyo naman ako ng pagkain di ba?

    ReplyDelete
  4. O_o;;

    AMP, stressed na nga ako sa kakailag magpapalibre pa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tnx tnx.

    kakapraning lang ng sira ang vehicle na main means of transpo.

    As harrowing sya as the other stuff like driving with smokin' locked brakes or 2wheels lang gumagana with 4wheel drive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. grabe ang hirap naman nyan. but am glad you're home safe already.

    at buti na lang natutuhan niyong pwede gamitin ang yosi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha poor excuse indeed pero it will be cheap solution to the windshield issue ;)

    sir, isa kang tunay na lalake!!! nakapag-drive kayo XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. in fairness, madami akong natutunan sa blog mo. pero baka sapakin ako ni marc pag natuto akong mag-drive tapos gagawin ko mga tips mo, haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. sir buti nga sa inyo wiper lang, ako nasabugan ng gulong. as in malapit nang sumayad yung mags sa kalye haha! =))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nostalgia.

    I think Dad tried Tide once. Or was it one of those cheap egg shampoos we used to sell in our store?

    Anyway, thank God you're home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha meron naman sir, bad trip lng in the middle of the night at umuulan pa ko nasabugan. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. weee. idol talaga si sir! pinakamatibay sa lahat! hahaha. good, you're safe sir! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. kita nyo, smoking can save lives!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Igor-san. You should always be ready to "Wipe on, and wipe off". ;D

    Water hates tobacco? No doubt we smokers are ALWAYS terribly dehydrated.

    I commend the survival skills. A real gorilla in an unforgiving jungle.

    Cheers, Ser! ;D

    ReplyDelete