Sunday, August 20, 2006

I'm a fan

Yes, I'm a fan. I'm a fan of a lot of things.

I'm a fan of anime.
I'm a fan of yoyoing.
There are times when I actually even get paid for being a fan of both. I perform when I yoyo or write about anime or letter manga. Sometimes, these two things I'm a fan of get to meet in one place. It's usually an anime convention where our group, FlipSpin, performs for the audience. It happened in UNA Kame. Last Saturday, Aug 19, it happened again, this time in CulturEvolution in Marikina.



Seems it's a new group of anime fans nowadays, I don't know the people who went there. The guys who are "seniors" who are now "veterans" were the ones who were active when Meowok and I were in Questor. Now the guys I know are organizers and heads and admins of their own special interest groups. Got to meet and renew acquaintances with cosplay legends (and one time Yuukan Kendoka) Robert and Paul. Also saw Gundam Girl Dice and cosplay goddes Joy / Haruka. One time Yuukan Kendoka Tyran and Jess were also there.

Jeez, on a related note (and I told Meowok about this), 5 years ago when you looked at my friendster account friends list, it was a smorgasbord of anime character pics. Nowadays I'm surprised when the anime pics give way to pics of young ladies (with or without boyfriends). Heck, what caught me unaware was that they are now in or have graduated from college! Heck, dati nakikipag-kulitan ako sa 12 yr olds na  Frances and Marenza (she now goes by Em). Kulitan namin ni Frances nun sa email when our birthdays came (magkalapit bday namin) went something like:

"Happy Birthday! Papa-Fedex ko na lang yung isaw at squid balls sa inyo dyan."


Weird that she ended up in UP... Isaw and squid balls heaven...

I'm a fan of art.
Especially of junk / recycled art. When I finished an OFW Guardian interview last August 17, Thursday, with Mr. Hector Tagaysay of Filway Marketing, I felt hunger pangs and ate at Sizzling Stop (which was in the same building). The ashtrays were made of aluminum cans. I just had to take a pic of it.



I'm a fan of wrestling.
Yes, it's the greatest show on earth. The soap opera for men. I'm actually going to watch the cinematic pay per view of SummerSlam in SM South Mall tomorrow, August 21, 2006.



Meowok and Olan knew how much of a fan I am of the WWE (heck, my tv's glued to Jack TV on weekends because of this). So for my birthday they gave me a WWE vid, The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior. Hehehe, I liked the Disney "Just Monkeying Around" gift wrapper too. I like animals... Well some more than others.

I'm a fan of animals.
Yup, I love dogs. Cats too. Maybe it's the reason why I play UFO catcher too. BTW, got these two ugly Hello Kitties from Tom's World in SM South Mall. The cow's another story.



I'm a fan of family.
The cow pic I took when we went to my inaanak Shuey's birthday swimming party in Los Banos, Laguna. My other inaanak Enzo was there too.



And since I'm a fan of family... It follows that...

I'm a fan of mom.
Mom was always complaining how her TV was acting up. We had bought two Goldstar (now part of LG Electronics) surplus / refurbished TVs from Cavite one day when we visited our house there. Heck, t'was a steal, about PhP999 each TV many years back. So that's one for the sala and one for her room. Anyway, that was years ago, so now with age the TV is hard to operate (Korean markings and all). So I decided to buy her a 14-inch TV from SM after the CulturEvolution gig. It was a choice between a Sanyo and a Sharp. I bought the Sanyo ST-14CE1.



I had it all planned. I'd sneak the TV in when they went to church for the 7pm mass (I'm deist, I seldom go to church). When she got home she'd see her new TV. By 8pm I switched on the TV. My sister saw it, smiled and relayed the news to my brother-in-law Geo. I kept dropping hints for my mom to see it. "Ma, you left your tv on when you went to church!" No dice. When my sister, brother-in-law and Enzo left for their house upstairs, my sister texted me and even called my mom asking "What's new?" My mom was dense... She still didn't see the tv.

About an hour later, while watching a series on Hallmark Channel, she realized she had a new tv when she picked up the remote and realized it was a different remote. Go figure... O_o;;

That's it for today... Too-da-loo...


powered by performancing firefox

3 comments: