Saturday, August 26, 2006

Tanghalang Pilipino

I'm thinking of getting season tickets to Tanghalang Pilipino theater productions.(Hehehe, don't you just love it when this blog jumps from anime to manga lettering to yoyoing to dogs to website projects to wrestling to family all in a heartbeat?)

Just saw Orfeo sa Impiyerno (Tennessee William's Orpheus Descending) yesterday. Best technicals I've seen so far, actually almost all of Tanghalang Pilipino's productions are tops when it comes to production values. I liked the 60's away-from-Manila feel of the play. The set, lighting and sounds were so darn good it makes jealous. Anyway, Orfeo sa Impiyerno in my eyes is about life and living. Maybe about desires too. And prejudice.

Before that I saw Tanghalang Pilipino's Godot, Wer is U? (Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot) which they staged together with the Cultural Center of the Philippines, National Commission for Culture and the Arts, and the French Embassy. That one, on the other hand, is about waiting. And salvation. My take is that Godot is God, and everyone else is waiting for salvation... But then, with plays like these you're bound to make your own (philosophical?) interpretations. Heck, in my mind the kid is Jesus. Ain't theater grand? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment