Monday, August 27, 2007

A Different Way of Doing Things Inside an SLIS Classroom: CDisplay, PSP, PSPComic and Bookr

Semi-geek time. I wanted to do things differently this semester. That being said, I started using different things in the classroom.
 
One of the things I am using is David Ayton's CDisplay for Windows as presentation software for my lectures rather than Powerpoint, Impress or Slideshare. I used to just use plain HTML years ago.
 
SDLC Slide 04 Sample
Sample lecture slide

CDisplay is a free sequential image viewing utility and is widely used to view digitized comic files. Digitized comics are usually in PDF or in CDisplay readable CBR or CBZ formats (which essentially are ZIPs or RARs of sequential images like JPGs). In the CBR or CBZ file, page 1 would be 001.jpg and so one, depending on your naming convention. Renaming to ZIP or RAR yields the original archive and the images can be extracted individually. I was thinking that since I use this for viewing / distibuting some of the comics lettering work I've done then why not use it for class?
 
Pros: Very fast.
Cons: Since they're already flat images, there's no way to extract text except for running the extracted images through OCR software. And the CDisplay software has to be installed on the computer you're using.
 
CDisplay is no longer maintained but there's CDisplayEx, an open source version as well as other MacOS and Linux versions. (CDisplay wikipedia link with similar software here.)
  
Another thing I started using was a PSP (Sony Playstation Portable). Yes, I indulged on my birthday in the guise of academic computing. The last of my birthday purchases, the PSP, I now use to while the time away when waiting for people or when traffic is really bad (I watch my DVDrips in really bad traffic). The predecessor? I used to watch matchbook-size video on my ASUS V80 but it's proving quite a strain on the eyes. Now it's just an audio player.
 
*GASP!* A PSP in the classroom? Am I out of my mind? Nope. One of my students, Jay Layson, always lugs a PSP around and he was lamenting on the fact that he was the only with a PSP in SLIS at the start of the sem. He plays games on it, listens to music, watches vids and reads ebooks on it too. Now, including me, I think there are 3 PSPs in the hallways.
 
You see, I can view the CBRs and CBZs of my lectures and class reports on the PSP with PSPComic. If the document or report is in PDF, I can view it with Bookr. It saves me from neck stress having to look behind me at the projection screen all the time. Plus now I can read my ebooks, pdfs and plain text files wherever I go (no Harry Potters just yet, it's still Stoker, Mary Shelley and J Sheridan Le Fanu for me). And just to demonstrate the possibilities, I googled and followed the instructions I found in several old webpages like Matan Gillon's "Windows and Linux on the Sony PSP", Chris Mulhearn's "uLinux on the PSP" and "The Bochs IA-32 Emulator Project" and eventually got DLXlinux and Freedos / mulinux13r2 disk images to boot (had no success with TinyLinux, though). Of course all I need now is to get a keyboard (Pikey?) for basic text entry (nevertheless, I probably still have to get a laptop upgrade to replace my old second-hand Sony Vaio PCG-505SX).
 

Running Linux in PSP







Generated by Flickr Album Maker


Notes:
 
CDisplay
http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay
CDisplay is a free sequential image viewing utility used in viewing images one at a time, or two at a time just like comic pages.
 
PSPComic version 0.9.6 Beta
http://dl.qj.net/PSPComic-v0.9.9-Beta-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/14312/catid/140
A Comic Book Reader for the PSP! Copyright (C) 2007 Jeffrey P. (AKA Archaemic) & Christophe Rudyj (AKA Kip)
 
Bookr
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bookr/
A document reader for the Sony PSP with native PDF rendering.
 
CDisplayEx
CDisplay on wikipedia
Matan Gillon's "Windows and Linux on the Sony PSP"
Chris Mulhearn's "uLinux on the PSP"
"The Bochs IA-32 Emulator Project"

16 comments:

  1. aztiiiiggg!! sayang di ko naabutan man lang! :) hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. geek...wala akong naintindihan, hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. anong lis course to? kung 81 to sana naging student uli ako. parang gusto namin bumili ni lennard ng PSP...sale pa naman. cool ka talaga sir igz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. teacher ka pala?! saan? highschool? wow, i can't believe it! anyway, mas maganda yung PSP na color pink. Kaso Nintendo DS ang binili namin para sa sister ko nung birthday nya. Ayoko ng PSP kasi maliit screen, may 32 inch LCD kami sa bahay edi mag PS 2 nalang ako mas malaki pa screen! bwehehehehe! magkano nga pala ang psp jan sa atin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linux on a PSP? How geeky can you get? Hmm... I believe yung plain HTML presentations mo ang inabot ko. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benj,
    yup, LIS 160 and 161 na yung equivalent ng LIS81 dati.

    Kish,
    Yup, sa college. :D UP School of Library and Information Studies. Di bagay sa akin pink na PSP, e.

    Trebs, Carina, Joanne, Tan,
    Hehehehe. :D

    Pero tagal na nilang ginagawa linux sa psp. talagang just wanted to try kung gagana sya. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Galing naman, teacher ka pala... COOL! Bagay sayo yung PINK! hehehehe! Magkano nga pala ang PSP jan sa Pinas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dito about 7k to 9k yung unit lang. Kung package with 4Gb Memory Stick and other accessories ay abot sya 11k to 12.5k, depende kung saan bibili. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. halos ganon din dito. pero can afford mga tao kasi karaniwan na dito ang may psp eh. pero ayaw ko nun. bibili nalang ako ng bago and more powerful na desktop! nyahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mac? Panget ang Mac. Maganda lang yun kung nasa america ka kasi kung lahat ng mga nasa paligid mo at kakilala mo naka PC mas maganda kung PC din Com mo kasi may mga features na d compatible. MAganda siya kung nasa america dito sa UK at sa Pinas kalokohan pag nag Mac ka.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehehe. Sa grfx companies Mac madalas gamit. Questor puro Mac ginamit namin. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok yun pag sa mga ganong graphic na gamitan siguro pero kung in general at wala ka naman sa US at ang gagawin mo lang naman eh puro internet, chat and other necessary things na magagawa sa Com edi mag pc ka nalang. Kasi may ibang features and mac na d compatible kapag PC ang other party tulad na YM may features na d nagagamit ang mac. For the general public mas maganda ang PC pag wala ka sa US.

    ReplyDelete
  13. D naman ako mahilig lumabas ng bahay. Kung gusto mo ako hanapin it's either sa bahay, work at church lang. yun lang. special occasions lang kapag sumasama akong namamasyal. kaya desktop na PC na malakas ang gusto ko nyahahahaha! Meron ngang PC and specs nya Quad core, 4gb Ram at 1gb video card, £800 lang pero yung CPU lang yun. Pero d yun ang gusto kong bilhin, d ko naman kelangan ng ganon kalakas na computer. Tama na yung Dual core 2gb ram at 512mb na video card.

    ReplyDelete