Saturday, May 31, 2008

Elite XC: Destiny, Gina Carano vs. Julie Kedzie

Just a quick one, I know it's old (last year), but I finally saw the groundbreaking FIRST female Mixed-Martial Arts (MMA) on PPV over at Elite XC: Destiny on Solar Sports.

The three-round fight was between (predominantly) Muay Thai stylists Gina Carano and Julie Kedzie. That being said, as expected, it was more of a striker slugfest lacking much in the groundwork action department. Kedzie, who had included Brazilian jiujitsu in her training regimen, was the one with who tried to execute some takedowns. Carano stood her ground and was seldom taken to the mat, even pummeling Kedzie ground-and-pound style on several ocassions when Kedzie laid on her back. I won't tell you who won, you have to watch it yourself, but I could say Kedzie was knocked down in the second round.

It was groundbreaking, in a way, as former wrestler and Elite XC color commentator Bill Goldberg put it. Not really much of a surprise for an alpha male gorilla like me. I've dropped the "She fights like a man..." and "He's a shrimp..." phrases from my vocabulary having sparred  with and been beaten by girls and smaller adversaries in the gym at kendo. Yeah, that fact I don't and won't deny. The stronger one doesn't always win, neither does the faster one. It's usually, but not always, the one with better technique and the one who has put his / her heart and soul into it more who does win. Sometimes it's also part luck. I'd like to think it's a combination of all the above.

Much respect and gorilla love. :D

PS. Oh yeah, by the way, Carano is also "Crush" in American Gladiators, another show I watch (in addition to CSI, Mythbusters, the History Channel shows, Discovery shows, Discovery Travel and Living ink shows and the WWE). :D

No comments:

Post a Comment