Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Things I learned while living alone...

This is my third week of living alone here in Quezon City. It has been quite an eye-opener for me. Circumstances have brought about this situation that I won't elaborate on. Suffice to say that I get to rest a whole lot more and have more time on my hands for work. Anyway, it's a crash course on life. Maybe it's applicable to just me, maybe to some of you out there too. Here's my list.

1. Living alone makes me thin.

Yup, moved down a belt notch since moving. Since I don't cook, I buy food. I found that I've limited myself to one serving of rice and viand. O_o;;

2. Living alone makes me spend less.

So far, I think this is true. I'll know for sure in about two months time.

3. It's a bitch to ferry your dirty laundry from one side of the metropolis to the other.

Yup, I have them laundered now or wash them here in QC. Perish the thought that I get held up and all I could fork over is a bag of soiled undies. O_o;; I'm now fwends with the laundry gurls across the street.

4. Walking is zen... Biking is zen... Ikot is zen...

Used to do these in college. Nice rediscovery. Bought a foldable bike to ferry myself around campus. But...

5. No matter how invincible you think you are, a storm, is a storm, is a storm.

No amount of raincoat and umbrella protection while riding a bike with small wheels in the rain will keep you dry. I got soaked, drenched, got sick and eventually missed classes. Related to this...

6. Being alone while sick is a bitch.

Waking up with a fever staring at an unfamiliar ceiling with no one to call on is a very rude awakening.

7. No matter how tough you think you are... No matter how much you love cold climates... Cold water in the morning is cold water in the morning.

I now heat my bath water. O_o;;

8. I can live without cable. But I can't live without a net connection and cellphones.

Related to this, I used to think that a tech person is only as good as his gear. Now I think a tech person is only as productive as his connectivity. It was a shock to see how reliant I was on the net. My temporary connection was via 3G using a Smart LG phone. In fairness it's a good back up. But it's a bit slow. Couldn't update the SLIS websites, couldn't access my email properly, couldn't plurk, couldn't multiply, couldn't reply to SLIS review questions, couldn't access my grades and student submissions, yada-yada-yada. Bayantel only got connected today and I'm making up for lost time. Also, I think I spent too much on load these past 2 weeks. Seems a cabled net connection is still cheaper for me.

9. Distances are deceiving. And a smaller bike wheel means more pedalling.

The japanese foldable bike I bought in Greenhills had small wheels and didn't have gears. It's nice for flat surfaces but damn tough on uphill climbs of the smallest of angles. A week later, the Cycleshack stores in SM Southmall suddenly had a delivery of an updated version of the bike. It now cost a bit more but now had gears! Damn... I'm looking at those "green" electric bikes  (smart bikes) now. They travel 50kms on an 8hr charge with pedalling as an option when the juice runs out. Didn't expect KNL to be so far from the Main Lib.


10. Things change...

My mind is stuck in the 90s. I instinctively almost paid P1.25 for Ikot fare. Jeez, it's now P7.00? It used to be P1.00 before it became P1.25, then P1.50, then P2.00. etc. etc. Bus ride to Las Pinas? It used to be P14.00 for ordinary, P21.00 for aircon. Now the aircon buses charge P68.00 to P70.00. Things change.

11. Lastly, you can count on your friends... Sorta...

When I was incapacitated Ate Rhina called and texted to check up on me. So did my landlady Ma'am Mae. So did the LISSA, FLIPP and LIS16x guys. Nearby neighbor Jen thought of me... I think...

"Sir, actually dadalhan ko sana kayo ng dinner kaso hindi ko alam yung papunta sa inyo.
Tsaka natatakot me kasi may napatay dyan nung isang araw."


Quite comforting...

I'll live. O_o;;



























No, make that...



12. I'll live. ^_^

47 comments:

  1. cable? stream na lang! ^_^

    never pa ako nakakanood sa cable ulet... for months! (or years?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, it's an attention span / eye rest thing I got from doing grfx work. Dapat may bg visuals nearby... so tv. :D Radio doesn't do much for me. Usually the 2 monitors (nowadays it's down to 1) are already filled with grfx stuff... script, tool palattes, job guides, etc. :D Dedicated na rin comp resources to the large grfx files and the processing it involves so I don't open anything else while working. :D TV breaks the monotony of staring at the PC screen. (Gastos ko sa kuryente, ano?) Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perhaps a larger lcd screen, the size of a wall's enough? :)

    hehe..yeah, although i'm not really into grfx work, i just roam around my house just to give my eyes a break from coding. they used to say that the color green (or nature colors) makes a pair of eyes cool down after a strenuous activity.

    there's a weird instance though - i get more easily distracted when there's not a video playing on one of my windows on my screen while doing some work/acad stuff. yes, it's very ironic but that's why i also got a lot of reviews from watching stuffs on the monitor. :D

    i guess, the tv's actually a recommended "bg" especially when it comes to ideas in creating grfx. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe. I actually was looking at those giganormous ones.
    Ahehehe, expennnsive, e.^_^

    I usually work on mostly black on white stuff (comics and articles), so I'm still holding out on getting an LCD. Parang sayang, e. :( (which also explains the colors of the tv as an eye and attention span break. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! funny si jen.

    sir, hindi ka man lang nagpa house warming. tsk, tsk

    ReplyDelete
  6. sir, asan na website namin? ahahahah .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with my No 6. For me, it's the worst thing about living alone.

    At dahil din sa No 6, natutunan ko kung paano isugod ang sarili ko sa emergency room ng pinakamalapit na hospital, and then magpaconfine mag-isa (mas tipid to kaysa manatili ka sa bahay, free food and free meds, salamat sa HMO).

    ReplyDelete
  8. sir, i heard nga from ate rhina na taga-qc na kayo! congrats! :) (nga ba?) kaya nyo yan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. asuuuuus....sa umpisa lang yan. :D
    as for #2, I don't think so... lalo na kung laging pa-deliver ng dinner. hahaha suki na kami ng housemates ko sa KFC, Kenny's and McDo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! finally away from parents! congrats! hahaha.

    kung sa KNL ka nakatira, mabubuhay ka kasi bukas ang baranggay na yan 24/7. di ka magugutom.

    but i agree with #1, kasi nangyari na yan sa kin. at nangyayari na naman sa kin ngayon. malapit ko nang maging kamukha ang microwave oven.

    living alone compels you to cook and eat whatever you cook kasi walang ibang kakain nyan kundi ikaw. pero mabubuhay ka rin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmmm. nakayanan ko yan lahat Sir, dapat kayo rin. hehe. wag lang may sira ulo at adik sa kapitbahay mo, mahirap yun! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. mababait naman mga kapit bahay ko. Awa ng diyos. Hehehe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bought a foldable bike to ferry myself around campus. But...

    but it's too big for you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. sir, hindi mo na po kelangang magpaalam sa mama mo. yiii nagbibinata na si sir. he's living on his own na. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. very true!!! you feel you're the most pathetic person ever living in UP... haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. echos lang yun. hehehe. jk! onga sir, walang house warming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sa umpisa lang po yan sir. if you need anything, the neighborhoods are friendly (thinks of myself). ;) of course you'll live. gorillas learn to live in the city. alone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oonga. Sa friday subukan ko ngang i-karga sa ikot paguwi natin.
    Bahala na si Batman.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of these days, @jenagustin.
    One of these days. >:(

    ReplyDelete
  20. pot luck? jk
    pag tapos na ang Y4IT.

    hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ayun, kakausap lang namin ng nanay ko sa telepono.
    Na-ospital kapatid ko kahapon ng hindi ko nalalaman.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. True. Lalo na, para saken, kung may portamusic player ka haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Masasanay ka rin sir! Haha. That, or nasanay lang talaga ako sa tubig-Baguio :))

    ReplyDelete
  24. Masasanay ka rin hehe. That, or nasobrahan na ako sa tubig-Baguio haha!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is why I can't leave the house. I doesn't matter if i travel at least 5hours a day to and from our house in Antipolo as long as I'm coming home to an internet connection. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nope.

    Madalas lang talaga ako tumambay dun haha!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wooooow. naka-relate ako sir. kaya nga after 1 year, bumalik ako sa bahay ng nanay at tatay ko. hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  28. gori! since you're closer to our office now, magpacheese burger ka naman!

    and how can you live without cable? is it at all humanly possible?

    ReplyDelete
  29. nope. okay lang, hindi mo na naman ako pinapasulat ng entertainment beat articles. Hehehe. Yul Servo interview? Heheheh. Might get skycable. will haveta check resources first. :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. teee-dum, tee-dee-dum...*biking* --- WAIT! it's raining! dali balek sa bhouse! hahahahahaha!!!!!! no more car to ride on.. buhuhuhu! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  31. salamat, ha. >:(
    pag yumaman ako...

    ay, wait... teacher nga lang pala ako. O_o;;

    ReplyDelete
  32. ah hahaha keri mu yan! dame ka pang lissa pips na pakakainin! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  33. Grabeh, di ko maimagine ikaw sakay yung bike na yan! mamamatay siguro ako sa kakatawa! PEACE TAYO!!!

    Bakit di ka nalang bumili ng scooter na pwede ring ipedal kung wala ka ng gasulina... diba meron nun?

    ReplyDelete
  34. d po LANG...

    saludo po ako sa mga teacher... idol ko sila! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  35. HEHEHEHHE! Would you believe I've been looking at those for the past 2 months? 19k din pala, medyo mahal. O_o;; http://www.hummerphilippines.com/smartbikes.htm

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the #11! So funny! Very concerned friend, di ba...Kaso nga naman Sir, sympre kelangan din nyang protektahan sarili nya...but it's the thought that counts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Speaking of that, the other week may naghabulan ng mga may nakabunot na baril O_o;;. Sanayan na lang.

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's kinda unfair to say that you can't count on your friends but it's true because humans are very limited, but you can always count on God to give you strength, wisdom, protection, comfort and peace. I pray that God will grant you the Grace to experience Him more in your life. Remember, you're not alone even if you think you are. Take care and may God keep you safe always, not forgetting that He's just a prayer away.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Salamat sa pag-daan :-) Loved this post. Oh so true :-)

    ReplyDelete