Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cy Sablay Kendo




Funny how things line up. Out of the blue Cy asked me where to buy bokkens and shinai when we were at the LISSA Summer Swim. Seems he's interested in swordplay having talked to Tyran and seen a kendo club in UP years ago. Well, guess what, Tyran was my kohai and I was part of that kendo club in UP years ago, the Yuukan Kendo Club (an unrecognized informal club). Tyran and I were the last two guys of the club, I closed it down since I ran out of things to teach Tyran. I gave Cy one of my old shinai (bamboo swords) so he could practice. As it turns out, Liz also practiced Haedong Kumdo, a korean art similar to Japanese Kendo. Finally, after years, I found out what subtle difference there was between kendo and kumdo in my talk with Liz. Seems they can change grips from right over left to left over right, which we didn't do in kendo. With the guys graduating and CY going back to the province, I think we'll set up an SLIS informal meet a year from now where we can beat each other senseless. :D I'll ask Tyran if he wants to come. That's Cy's sablay and Janny sleeping it off from thesis work, btw. *sigh* I'm out of practice, tried a swing at the tambayan pillow and missed. I hit the bulletin board. The sound shocked the guys at the Flipp tambayan, me thinks. Soweee. O_o;;

10 comments:

  1. yes...that poor defenseless pillow tsktsk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hindi bale, pag balik ni Cy kukunin ko na armor sa kaibogan ko. Sya na hahampasin natin. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. pwede ba akong maging estudyante nyo dyan sir??? hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hala! Out of practice na ako. O_o;;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo nga. Imagine, ilang taon din tayong naghahampasan ng bamboo swords dun. Si Liz (Guerrero) na lang ata nagtutuloy-tuloy ng kendo sa atin lahat, e. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. kausap lang namin yan a few seconds ago tapos.... zzzzzzzz...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL ang tawag diyan sir "DIABETIS" j/k lang haha! Baka sir napuyat sa thesis hmmm...

    ReplyDelete